Before I begin, I want to note that this is my personal opinion based on my research. It has not been scientifically tested.
iPhone 5 was released on 2012 and I literally replaced 2 or 3 iPhone battery per day now. it has been over 4 years (it is 2016 as I am writing this) since the release so it seems it is the time the battery is exhausted. You thought iPhone battery is rechargeable and would last for the life of the phone? The answer is NO. Even the rechargeable battery wears out and it will not work after enough usage.
So is there a way to use the battery efficient way to prolong the life? I do not want to say yes for sure but I believe there is better way to use your device with rechargeable battery to prolong the life.
Again, this is based on my research and experience so do not quote me on this.
Efficient way to use your device that has rechargeable battery.
- Charge whenever you can. It is better to frequently charge rather than letting the battery to drain until capacity is low.
- Battery will perform the best between 65F – 90F.
- Battery will perform the best in calm environment. (e.g. using the device under duress like using the phone in roller coaster will affect the functionality, etc)
- Using the device while plugged in even though the battery is fully charged causes no issue. (Actually, this is better way to use the device because it can slow battery aging)***
- Lithium-Ion battery will age regardless of use and inoperable after time, so use it as you wish.
***This is based on using factory certified or original OEM cable. We do not recommend you to use any other cable that is sold cheap at a place such as Gas Stations or on line retailers. iPhone lighting cable comes with MFi chip that controlls the power flow and most of cheap knock off cables to not has such which can cause serious problem to your phone. See the picture above.